Hrvatsko planinarsko društvo Ante Bedalov

Hrvatski

Places to see

Church of St. Juraj

Church of St. Juraj was originally built in 839. on the southern slopes of Kozjak by duke Mislav. Around the church there was a settlement called Putalj. The new church was built in 1927. Archeological surveys around the church and the nearby cemetery discovered a Roman and a pre-historic layer.

Church of St. Luka (690 m)

Church of St. Luka is a medieval church located on the ridge of the mountain. It was first mentioned in 1397. During the centuries it was destroyed many times and was finally renovated in 1994.

Church of St. Mihovil

North from Kaštel Kambelovac, on a souther slopes of Mountain Kozjak in a Lažana region, stands medieval church of St. Mihovil. Next to the church there is a guard tower built in the 16th century.

Church of St. Ivan of Biranj (631 m)

Church of St. Ivan is located on the ridge of mountain Kozjak and was probably built in the 12th century. It was destroyed many times during the centuries and got its final shape in 1887.

The Klis fortress

The Klis fortress is a medieval fortress situated above a village bearing the same name, near the city of Split, in central Dalmatia. Perched on an isolated rocky eminence, inaccessible on three sides, the fortress overlooks the city of Split, the ancient Roman settlement of Salona, the towns of Solin, Kaštela and Trogir, and most of the central Dalmatian islands.

Originally it was built by the ancient Illyrian tribe Dalmatae and later it served as a royal castle that was the seat of many Croatian kings. It also served as a fortress during the Ottoman wars in Europe. Klis Fortress has guarded the frontier, being lost and re-conquered several times throughout its more than two thousand year long history. Due to its location on a pass that separates the mountains Mosor and Kozjak, the fortress served as a major source of defense in Dalmatia.

Near Klis, in a small town called Solin, you can visit the remains of the ancient city of Salona. Salona was an ancient Illyrian Delmati city in the first millennium BC.

After the conquest by the Romans, Salona became the capital of the Roman province of Dalmatia. When the Roman Emperor Diocletian retired, he erected a monumental palace nearby. This massive structure, known as Diocletian's Palace, became the core of the modern city of Split.

Walking through Salona you can see the remains of the amphitheatre, roman baths, covered aqueduct, living quarters, forum area… Since the town was also an important early centre for Christianity, it contains a burial site – the Manastirine.

church of St. Jurajchurch of St. Jurajview towards church of St. Jurajchurch of St. Lukachurch of St. Lukachurch of St. Lukachurch of St. Mihovilchurch of St. Mihovil16th century tower near church of St. MihovilKlis fortressKlis fortressKlis fortressKlis fortress

Contact information

  • Address: Brce 31, Kastel Kambelovac
  • Telephone: ++385-91-526-8614
  • Mobile: ++385-91-913-8602
  • E-mail: hpd.antebedalov@gmail.com

Find us on web